Step into avocado toast heaven this autumn
We’re big avocado toast fans here at Expertain. Yes, we know – so is every other nutritionist/personal trainer/Instagrammer out there. But have you tasted it?! It’s so creamy, so filling, and actually healthy, with its perfect combination of carbohydrates and beneficial fats. If you’re looking for a quick, tasty and easy way to start your day, it certainly makes for a brilliant breakfast.
However, as much as we love avocado and the toast that it sits on, the same recipe can become bland day after day (after day). That’s why these delicious alternatives exist! Check out the six recipes below and get set to enter avocado toast heaven this season.
Nope, we wouldn’t have thought of this combo ourselves either. But the sweetness of the mango works really well with the buttery avocado. Try it out!
- 1 avocado, mashed with 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 mango, cubed
- 5-6 slices of small toasts or 2-3 large slices of toast
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp radicchio, finely chopped
- optional: drizzle of EVOO or lemon juice to serve
Hummus is another of those Instagrammers’ favourite snack foods, so why not combine it with avocado for the holy grail of breakfast, lunch or snack foods?
- 2 slices of bread
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1/2 roma tomato, chopped
- 2 TBS hummus
- pinch of za'atar (or any other spice)
If you’re dairy-sensitive, this is a great choice. The combination of the ingredients with balsamic makes it reminiscent of bruschetta, but without the cheese. Result.
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 slices hearty, seeded bread
- olive oil
- 2 small heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ a ripe avocado
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- sea salt
- black pepper
Diary fans, this one’s for you. It’s a new take on an old classic, teaming cheese and avocado with that good old staple, tuna fish.
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 3 (5 ounce) cans white chunk albacore tuna
- 3 and ½ tablespoons mayonnaise (can use light, if desired)
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon onion flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4 sliced muenster cheese
This recipe was specifically designed to include some of the signature tastes of this season – pear, gorgonzola, honey and walnuts. Yum!
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 avocados, smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey, drizzled
- 2 tablespoons crumbled gorgonzola cheese
This recipe is unusual, rich and utterly delicious. It looks fancy, too! One to whip up at a dinner party, indeed.
- 6 oz. feta cheese
- 2 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 medium avocado, diced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (about 1 small pomegranate)
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped (I used salted because that is all I had. But if you can get your hands on unsalted, that would be even better)
- 1/2 tsp. lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 French baguette (or bread of your choice)
Avocado toast will never be the same again! Give these recipes a try and we’re sure you’ll agree that the world of avocado is wide and wonderful. And if you have any of your own takes on the classic avocado toast, please share them with us in the comments below.