Sticking to eating healthy food isn’t easy, particularly for those of us who have grown up turning to comfort food after a tough day. Pizza in particular has been the downfall of many a dieter. We have a nutritious, yummy alternative: Cauliflower pizza.
This cuts down on the carbohydrates, and allows you to replace the less healthy elements of a standard pizza (bleached flower, high-fat cheese) with healthier options.
What Ingredients Will You Need?
- ½ a head of cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of Mozzarella (low fat if possible)
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan
- Toppings of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 220 °C, and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Put the cauliflower into your food processor, and pulse until it’s finely crumbled.
- Move the cauliflower into a microwavable container, then microwave until softened. Allow it to cool, then place it in a dish towel and ring out any moisture.
- Mix in the egg, mozzarella, Parmesan, salt and pepper, then pat it out onto the baking paper – this should be roughly 10 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden.
- Keep in mind that you’re trying to eat healthily when you choose your toppings. Low fat cheese is a great start, then add some exciting flavour with crushed garlic, cherry tomatoes, and crushed red pepper flakes. Strips of chicken are a great way to add protein.
- Finally bake in the oven for another 10 minutes, then top it all off with rocket lettuce and basil leaves, and enjoy your healthy but delicious comfort food.