9 healthy lunch wraps that put sandwiches to shame
We’ve all been there. It’s lunchtime at the office, we’re trying to save money, but we didn’t exactly bring anything exciting to eat. Our only option is a foil-wrapped cheese sandwich – often squashed, sorry-looking and hardly appetising.
Eating out each lunchtime can be a costly business, but you’ll be happy to hear that there are more appealing alternatives. Bringing your own lunch from home can be much cheaper, healthier and even tastier – and you’re not just limited to seemingly sad sandwiches. We’ve scoured the web for a selection of wraps you can make at home, all for a fraction of the price of a store-bought wrap, and all super tasty and good for you, too. Read on for the pick of the bunch!
We all know about the virtues of quinoa. Spice things up with some Mexican flavours and transform a standard wrap into an exciting and substantial burrito-esque meal.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 15 oz (400g) black beans
- 7 oz (200g) corn
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 chili, chopped, seeds removed (optional)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- BBQ sauce
- salt, pepper to taste
- guacamole, vegan sour cream (optional)
You can never go wrong with avocado – such a filling and versatile ingredient, crammed with good fats and essential nutrients. Click the link above for the full list of ingredients.
It’s about that time of year when all the spring and summer vegetables are in full flow. Make the most of them by grilling them in this delicious lunchtime wrap.
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices red onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 (12-ounce) eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (8-ounce) container plain hummus
- 4 (1.9-ounce) whole-grain flatbreads (such as Flatout Light)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
This wrap requires the meat be pre-marinated and cooked, so it will take a little more prep time, but the taste will make it so worth it – as will the looks on your co-workers’ faces when they see your amazing lunch. Click the link above for the full list of ingredients.
It doesn’t have to be Christmas to enjoy a classic turkey and cranberry combo. Get your festive fix any time of the year (or day!) with this delicious wrap.
- 3 cups cooked, shredded turkey (or chicken)
- 1/2 cup almonds, whole or sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 - 3 tbsp mayonnaise (or Greek yoghurt), to taste
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce (or dried cranberries)
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 - 4 large tortillas
This recipe is almost too simple for words – but aren’t the simplest things often the best? This is a great go-to recipe when you want something quick and easy. Click the link above for the full list of ingredients and the recipe.
Bring the taste of the sunshine coast to your table, wherever you are in the world, with this easy-peasy chicken wrap recipe – perfect in particular for a warm summer’s day.
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- salt and pepper
- 1 mango, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large avocado, or 2 small
- 4 large whole wheat or spinach tortillas (10-inch)
- 2 cups shredded romaine
- 1 large tomato, diced
The Mexicans really know how to do a wrap right. Here’s the second Mexican-inspired wrap to make our list, and with good reason. No fuss, tons of taste! Click the link above for all the information on how to make it.
Even the name of this dish is pretty and appetising. Not only that, but it takes only 10 minutes to prep and make, and you don’t even need to use a flour tortilla. A simple green leafy substitute will do.
- Collard greens
- Red cabbage
- Sunflower hummus (or other hummus)
Tried any of these great wrap recipes, or got a no-fail recipe of your own? Let us know in the comments!